ImVitro is looking for a mission-driven VP of engineering to join the Paris-based company to tackle a problem that concerns around 15% of couples worldwide: infertility. The ideal candidate has managed and scaled engineering teams focused on delivering AI-driven SaaS products.
Today, one of the main medical solutions to infertility is in vitro fertilization (IVF). And yet, its success rates only come close to 20-30% in Europe, which means patients have to repeat this difficult journey all too often, or give it up altogether. At ImVitro, we minimize the number of cycles patients have to go through by personalizing medical decisions to each patient’s journey. We apply AI to a variety of data that is routinely used by doctors to make complex and multifactorial decisions, starting with videos of developing embryos. We predict the impact of these customized decisions on success rates, thus making IVF more transparent, robust and reproducible. Our vision is to create an easier path to parenthood to ensure families can take their planning into their own hands.
ImVitro is an early stage Deep Tech start-up backed by US & European VC funds. It was founded in August 2019 and has already created strong partnerships with fertility centers. The company has been backed by several accelerator programs (Entrepreneur First, DeepTech4Good, Wilco, Agoranov) and was selected as one of Station F’s Future 40 2019 start-ups.
Role and responsibilities
As VP of engineering, you will lead and grow the technical team needed to deliver our first medically compliant SaaS product. This product is based on DL algorithms used to evaluate videos of developing embryos to predict their implantation potential. The current technical team is composed of 3 members and would need to grow to >10 in the next 12-18 months.
You will define the technical roadmap of the product, lead the research and engineering team and attract the best talent to bring to life ImVitro’s first SaaS products. You should not be afraid of getting your hands dirty to provide hands-on technical leadership for the team. This entails overseeing the entire technical spectrum of our SaaS product, ranging from computer vision, data science, back-end infrastructure and front-end engineering.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Develop the technical roadmap and ensuring its milestones are met
- Grow and lead the research and engineering team
- Bring to life cutting-edge computer vision algorithms with unprecedented accuracy
- Establish efficient processes and world-class quality control to secure CE Mark and FDA approval with the help of our specialized medical consultants
Above all, the person needs to be excited about the mission of the company, and needs to be driven, curious and resilient. Candidates should have the “must” skills listed below; the “nice” are a plus.
- Masters in Computer science, Machine Learning or related technical fields
- Direct experience managing a technical team with proven track-record of deliverables
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in english
- >2 yrs coding experience with Deep Learning in industry
- Proficiency with Python & ML tools
- Experience with cloud computing (e.g AWS) and Serverless Architecture
- Experience with agile software development
- Experience at a startup in the growth phase
- Experience in computer vision is a huge plus
- Familiarity with cellular biology, microscopy and IVF is a huge plus but not a must. The person must however be willing to learn the fundamentals of IVF and embryo development.
Compensation & Perks
The employee will
- Receive a competitive salary and Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
- Have access to central offices in Paris at Agoranov, a prestigious Deep Tech incubator and be part of its amazing network of entrepreneurs and scientists
- Be able to participate in regular company events (e.g. team lunches, drinks)
- Benefit from flexible work arrangements
- Have the opportunity to make an impact on patients and society at large
- Send CV (1 page) and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 30 min introductory video call with CEO
- 1 hr in-depth discussion with CEO
- 45 min discussion with the technical team
- 2 – 3 reference calls between CEO and former managers & managees of the candidate
ImVitro is committed to building a diverse team and to equal employment opportunity, regardless of (including but not limited to) race, gender, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership, sexual orientation, gender identity. The company has been founded by women, is currently composed of both male and female members of different nationalities and is intent on strengthening this diversity as it grows. Therefore, we strongly encourage all applications, including those of women and any underrepresented minorities.